Sunday, August 15, 2010

Do you go to a party and randomly tell guest that you haven’t seen in ages that your business for the past year has seen a tremendous decline?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I didn’t think so. If you think of the web as a city and social media better known as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, Blogs, Youtube, Flickr, etc as the place where consumers hang out on their spare time you’ll further understand my thought process. I probably just spent 15 minutes deleting “Event Invitations” and marketing messages I received via Facebook that had no real value or connection to me whatsoever. Thing is I’ll receive one of these 247 notices that consist no real substance, I’ll ignore it, time will pass and then all of a sudden I’ll have over 600 messages on my home page. Does that ever happen to any of you? I feel as if “marketers” are taking advantage of the social network craze and are turning away numerous of potential prospects. That’s why I asked if you attended a party would you share your company slumps with individuals you just met. Most likely you answered no and if indeed that is the case then I am sure you also know you couldn’t interrupt a party, treat everyone as a sales lead and blabber on about your oh so perfect company because that to wouldn’t get you far in the scene. So from now forward take it for what it is, a “party.” Network, build valuable interactions, develop lasting friendships and who knows perhaps, a knew business opportunity may arise. And remember your social media activity speaks more than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment